Friday 18 May 2012

Stuck in the Middle with You

     As always, it's a pleasure to share your company here so thank you for coming along on this philosophical journey. About a week ago, the conversation started to really dig into this idea of ego. Ego is likely how people experience the survival tendency we call instinct in other creatures. It is something that is naturally occurring in all animals on Earth, however, at least as a collective, humans have decided to take limiting measures on this 'naturally' driving force. Most overtly we do this by organising into something we've coined as "society", which is has a higher imposed order on top of what's required by nature. It's a higher imposed order in the sense that it is guided by a large set of rules that are more strict than what would be allowed in a natural free for all. It is also likely that the thoughts that created that "order" originated in a "higher" region of the brain called the neocortex (See "Battling the Brain Stem"). On an individual level, everyone has a unique relationship with his/her own ego and has their own reasons (or lack their of) for controlling it, letting it control them, or even justifying it. In terms of this blog, the most significant problem with ego is that it interferes with acting precisely on many levels (See "Precisely: What I was Thinking").

     Different cultures have developed varying relationships and language that help us to think about the subject. Fortunately, English actually has a number of terms that are used quite commonly to help point out the phenomena. Ego can often be used as a synonym for self. However, that does not mean it encompasses our entire being. It can be more useful and easier to conceptualizing  when thought of as a third party that happens to exist in the same brain space as the actively conscious mind. Looking at it this way makes it possible to develop an increasingly precise relationship with it over time. (see "Looking at Layers: the Power of Perception)

     Some of the English terms that attempt to point to this thing called ego are "self-control", "self-awareness" "acting selfishly" and even the phrase, "get over your self". Thefreedictionary.com gives this definition which seems to sum up the concept nicely. "egotism - the practice of thought, speech, and conduct expressing high self-regard or self-exaltation, usually without skepticism or humility." A commonly used visual metaphor is that of an angel and devil on each shoulder. In this metaphor, the ego voice (devil) attempts to convince a person to act selfishly, even at the expense of others. The higher self (angel) advises a person on what would be better considering everyone's point of view. Lastly the person in the middle, actually making the decision and taking action, is us. 

     Now one may be thinking, "Ego and instinct got us to this point. It has ensured the survival of the human race and probably all other species leading up to this point, so why go and turn our backs on it now?" That is certainly true that it has gotten us here. If we never gave a thought to it, people would likely go on surviving in some manner. However, for anyone interested in working towards precision, understanding this concept can play a critical role in helping one get there more quickly. One reason for this is because ego type, "natural", urges are generally very short sited. While they may help us survive now, it gives little thought to others or even to our own being in the long run. Ego thirsts to be satisfied quickly. It loves instant gratification. Each individual's ego wants something in the present to satisfy itself, but often it is so short sited that it hinders its own long term progress. While its' existence helps the continuation of people as a whole, it does not ensure the healthiest, longest, nor happiest life for the individual it inhabits.

     For example, let's imagine being at a buffet. It's been my experience that even when I'm completely full and in no need of anything else, historically, I have continued consuming to the point of discomfort. In the moment, I just wanted to taste something more. (The desire to taste more, and repeatedly, is how the ego communicates to my conscious mind in order to get me to act.) Now my long term goals may consist of me getting in shape, or even wanting to feel good on the walk home. However, in satisfying my (ego's) very short term desires, I acted in a way that is actually working against the goals set forth by my higher cognitive self. If I want to have a precise relationship with my body and maintain it in shape, giving into this particular ego drive is causing me to act clumsily. (See "Clumsiness and Climbing Castles" for clarity on what I mean by clumsy)


     Another example I've noticed in myself is when I go out with friends on a weekend. From time to time we'll enjoy some drinks which can add some fun to the evening. There is nothing inherently wrong with enjoying some adult beverages with friends. However, when thinking only about the moment, I may consume one more than I should. The next day I might find myself hung-over, lazy and slow. In this scenario maybe I spend the day watching more TV and resting than doing exercise and reading. Instead of making a nutritious meal, I order a pizza. Now, I'll repeat, there is nothing inherently wrong with enjoying some drinks and a night out, but when my short term desires for a fun evening get in the way of my long term goals (learning, exercising, using my free day more productively) then that is clumsy. The urges to place higher importance on the here and now with little or no regard to the moments that follow leads to actions that are less precise than they could otherwise be. As talked about in previous posts, precision is the defining characteristic of things done well. Long term precision has to do with control throughout increasingly extended periods of time. This includes moving from day to day, week to week, month to month to however long it can be maintained.

     In short, one way ego presents itself is in the desire to indulge in the here and now, without regarding what's to come. Indulging ego in this way can get in the way of realizing longer term goals that have been proposed by higher regions of the brain, a higher self even. This is not the only way that ego exists however. Clearly some people work long and hard for selfish means over a period of time. This too hinders the precision of society and even the world, but that must be saved for a future conversation. Thank so very much for joining me. As always, feel free to send me a message with any thoughts, critiques, or questions that may help clarify these posts. Until then, have a good one!

2 comments:

  1. I've just entered your philosophical world here for the first time Jeremy...barely a couple of paragraphs in to it and what comes to mind is this: We should have started this WAY back on one of our trips to Goldendale or maybe ColumbiaBurbank (both and all others for 4 yrs). And then, when the seasons were wrapping up, for some extreme comic relief, you, AP, Ang and I could take a drive in the blue van and laugh for 2 hrs straight. Ah, yes, that would energize us for years. Alas, I still don't have a computer at home so there is little chance I'll be able to keep up with your philosophical adventure but I look forward to visitint when I have a chance.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, thank you so much for joining in the conversation. I wish I was able to start this conversation years ago. Unfortunately/fortunately, these topics have only just introduced themselves to my awareness over the last couple of years. If you're just joining, I would like to offer going backwards before moving forward. This whole thing is growing on itself and the earlier ideas hopefully support those that come later. Thanks for reading along, however often time permits you to stop by. I appreciate you taking the time to voice a comment. I look forward to hearing from you soon!

    ReplyDelete